I’m an armchair author. I’ve “competed” in National Novel Writing Month (“NaNoWriMo”) six years in a row. I have 4 novels permanently in the “editing” phase, and one (my first) in need of a rewrite. It seem that the only time I can set aside time for pure, creative writing is during this month and motivation.
My yearly books written are:
- 2015 - Sentry. A short novella set in my Raltha universe. Jeri, a young, anarchistic ganger is reformed through fire and pain in military service in a shattered world. Currently 51,941 words.
- 2016 - Vargas Rising. Set in my Raltha universe. The novella and introduction of Jeri, the protagonist in Sentry, Hal, a Clansguard warrior, and a dark, brooding assassin named Kain all converge to overthrow a diabolical mad genius and his army of genetically cloned rat-men. Currently 57,416 words.
- 2017 - Razed Ground, also set in my Raltha universe and the second book of the Vargas Series. Continues the struggle of Jeri, Hal, and Kain. Currently 71,343 words.
- 2018 - The Unfallen (working title, incomplete). Set in my alternate religious history setting where Jehovah’s flood to wipe the Earth was stopped by man and the other gods. Now centuries later the many species of man live in a familiar, but very alien to us world. Currently 71,461 words.
- 2019 - Aggregate Storm (first half), also set in my Raltha universe and the third book of the Vargas Series. Political tensions rise between Sentry and Pankeen.
- 2020 - Aggregate Storm (second half, abandoned draft plot lines, but ideas will be there for the rewrite), also set in my Raltha universe and the third book of the Vargas Series. This is the siege of Sentry. Currently 63,313 words.
Each of these books is either in early draft or second revision phase. Personally, my most interesting setting is the Legendary Atlantis which “The Unfallen” is set. It has nearly a Steampunk Star Wars feel with all the technology level and the many nations and races, despite being set pretty squarely around the Mediterranean Sea.
If I can’t find the inspiration of the direction I need to take Aggregate Storm, the second half of “The Unfallen” will be 2020’s NaNoWriMo novel.